General Funding Guidelines
The Dyson Foundation awards grants in several different program areas, each with specific guidelines (learn more). The Dyson Foundation accepts unsolicited funding inquiries through our Mid-Hudson Valley Program.
All applicants should be aware of the following general guidelines that apply to all program areas:
- As a private foundation, we can only fund tax-exempt public charities under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Service Code. The Foundation does not direct payments through fiscal agents in lieu of organizations having 501(c)3 designation, nor does the Foundation make grants to individuals or other private foundations. We generally do not make grants to government units (such as fire districts or municipalities). However, we will accept proposals from government units for the exploration of consolidation or merger. Please review our guidelines for the Foundation's Strategic Restructuring Initiative.
- We do not make grants for:
- Galas, fundraising events, tickets, or sponsorships (read our Statement Regarding Special Events Funding);
- Direct mail campaigns;
- International projects;
- General endowments;
- Debt or deficit reduction.
- We have very specific criteria regarding faith-based organizations and schools.
- The Dyson Foundation's policy on non-discrimination prevents us from awarding grant support to organizations that, in their constitution, bylaws, or practices, discriminate against a person or group because of age, race, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or religious belief. Grantees, however, may target services to a particular population when the targeted groups require specialized programs to meet specific needs not shared by the general population.
Applicants should apply to the Dyson Foundation based on these guidelines, not because of what or whom the Foundation may have funded in the past. The Foundation's interests periodically change, become more focused, or even shift entirely to new areas in response to emerging needs.
How to Apply for Dyson Foundation funding.